STEM CORE ENGINEERING TECH PATHWAYS
A critical component all of the Silicon Valley Engineering Tech Pathways (SVETP) is the STEM Core. The STEM Core provides a foundational year for community college students accelerating their path to STEM degrees and careers in computer science, engineering, and other high wage, high demand occupations. The STEM Core is a cohort-based, block scheduled learning community hosted at all nine partner community colleges.
- Complete the three/four-course sequence between Algebra and Calculus in just two semesters
- Curriculum contextualized to engineering/STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) careers
- Introduction to Engineering and/or Computer Science
- Exposure to STEM careers through field trips, guest speakers, and job shadows
- Wraparound academic and social support including supplemental instruction, tutoring, additional counseling, etc.
- Compete for internships with partner employers including NASA, Lawrence Livermore Lab, and others.
STEM CORE TEAM
Andre Simmons- Student Support Specialist West Valley College
Marina Gonzalez- Student Support Specialist at Ohlone College
Kelsey Wat- Student Support Specialist at Las Positas College
Tam Nguyen- Student Support Specialist at San Jose City College
Donna Miranda- STEM Core Coordinator at Foothill College
Paige Buchanan- Student Support Specialist at Monterey Peninsula College
Emily Oberheim- Student Support Specialist at Mission College
Monty Bott- Student Support Specialist at Evergreen Valley College
Jenny Le- Student Support Specialist at Skyline College
Gabe Hanzel-Sello- Program Manager
David Gruber- Co-Director Growth Sector
Caz Pereira- Co-Director Growth Sector
For more information regarding the STEM Core cohorts please contact Gabe Hanzel-Sello at Gabe@growthsector.org